Quality is our tradition.

akf History

In 1886 Adolf Siemers founded the „Packkistenfabrik (Packaging box factory) Adolf Siemers“ in the historic „Deichststrasse“ in Hamburg with only a small amount of capital. Just two years later the factory was moved to the nearby quays. Around 1920 Adolf Siemers son Carl Martin took over the management of the company.

In those early years wooden boxes or crates were used for all kinds of packaging. There were no cardboard boxes known in Europe until 1930, their breakthrough came after the Second World War.

The company was badly hit during the Second World War: The factory in the quays was destroyed and production was stopped. Now in the hands of the third generation the company had to be newly established by Carl Siemers. A new plot in Hamburg-Altona was bought, the company name accordingly changed to „Altonaer Kistenfabrik (Altoner Box factory)“. During the years after the war the company manufactured not only packaging containers but many other things made of wood, including piggeries and potato crates.

The premises in Altona - which included approximately 3,000 sqm or 3,600 square yards - soon, became too small for large construction projects. In 1980 it was decided to relocate to Hamburg-Veddel. Also shortly after the 100 year anniversary the business was passed on to its current owner Joachim Siemers. Under his leadership the company secured major projects: In 1987/88 the first construction project took place which saw a whole shipyard being shipped to Nigeria.

In the following years several subsidiaries were founded. These take care of logistics, handling and the packaging industry. Due to the diversification it was decided in 2005 to rename the company again with less emphasis on the box or crate to „akf Siemers“. Today akf siemers has 120 employees at its premises in Hamburg and Westphalia.

The premises in Altona - which included approximately 3,000 sqm or 3,600 square yards - soon, became too small for large construction projects. In 1980 it was decided to relocate to Hamburg-Veddel. Also shortly after the 100 year anniversary the business was passed on to its current owner Joachim Siemers. Under his leadership the company secured major projects: In 1987/88 the first construction project took place which saw a whole shipyard being shipped to Nigeria.

In the following years several subsidiaries were founded. These take care of logistics, handling and the packaging industry. Due to the diversification it was decided in 2005 to rename the company again with less emphasis on the box or crate to „akf Siemers“. Today akf siemers has 120 employees at its premises in Hamburg and Westphalia.

In 2011 the family business proudly celebrates its 125th anniversary. Much has changed since the founding of the company but one thing has not, the box remains a main product of the company.

Quality is our tradition.